All U.S. citizens need a valid passport and valid Indian visa to enter and exit India for any purpose.
Tourists can apply for Tourist Visa on Arrival (TVoA) at least 4 days prior to their arrival instead of applying for a tourist visa at an Indian embassy or consulate.
Eligibility for TVoA:
- Travelers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation , sightseeing , casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.
- Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- Travelers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket.
How it works:
Step 1. Apply online (upload photo & passport page)
Step 2. Pay visa fee online (using credit / debit card)
Step 3. Receive ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) online. (ETA will be sent to your email)
Step 4. Fly to India (print ETA & carry at the time of travel)
– Passport must be valid for 6 months from date of arrival.
– We strongly recommend your passport has at least 2 blank visa pages for entry stamp.
Updated: June 2015